Electric Chainsaws are useful for tree trimming, yard work, and general maintenance. Electric chainsaws are an excellent choice for homeowners who need to trim trees and shrubs, but do they require bar oil?
The answer is yes. Bar oil acts as a lubricant between the chain and the guide bar of your electric chainsaw, making its movements smoother and more efficient. Without it, the friction generated by the chain can cause excessive heat build-up, leading to early wear and tear of the chainsaw bar.
So, in this article, we’ll guide you through the whole process of using bar oil and the best practices for using it.
Table of Contents
- 1 Do electric chainsaws need bar oil? Guiding Steps
- 2 How do you oil an electric chainsaw?
- 3 Characteristics of Lubrication Oil for Chainsaw
- 4 Common Mistakes in Applying Bar Oil to Electric Chainsaws
- 5 Electric Chainsaw Oil Substitutes
- 6 Do Mini Chainsaws Need Oil?
- 7 Final words: Do electric chainsaws need bar Oil?
- 8 FAQs
- 8.1 Can You Manually Lubricate An Electric Chainsaw?
- 8.2 Is it normal for oil to come out of the chain?
- 8.3 Is there a difference between bar oil and motor oil?
- 8.4 Do electric pole saws need bar oil?
- 8.5 What happens if you run an electric chainsaw without bar oil?
- 8.6 What kind of oil does a Worx electric chainsaw use?
Do electric chainsaws need bar oil? Guiding Steps
Yes, electric chainsaws need oil to lubricate the chain. By following the steps, you will know that chainsaws need oil for their lubrication:
Step 1: Selecting the Right Bar Oil for Electric Chainsaws
First, select the right bar oil for your electric chainsaw. Most manufacturers recommend specific bar oil for their products. You can find this information in the user manual of your chainsaw. The chosen oil should have high sticking properties and be of an appropriate thickness to ensure it stays on the chain and does not splatter when it moves at high speeds.
Step 2: Applying the Bar Oil
Next, the bar oil needs to be applied properly. Clean the oil tank before pouring in new oil. Check the oil level frequently during use – the saw will consume oil as it operates. You must never run the chainsaw without bar oil, which can lead to early wear and possible damage.
Step 3: Storage and Maintenance of Electric Saw
After using your electric chainsaw, empty the bar oil reservoir before storing the tool. This will help prevent leaks and keep the chainsaw in optimal condition. Regular cleaning and maintenance of the chainsaw will also extend its lifespan and maintain its efficiency.
How do you oil an electric chainsaw?
How to Add Oil in an Electric Chainsaw? Pouring oil into an electric chainsaw is easy and simple. To oil your electric chainsaw, all you need to do is:
- Unscrew and remove the guide bar cover. This exposes the chainsaw chain and guide bar, allowing easy access to the oil reservoir.
- Clean up the reservoir and pour your new engine oil in.
- Fill the reservoir with a suitable type of bar and chain oil. Ensure you don’t overfill it – check the user manual for specific oil capacity.
- Reattach the cover, ensuring that it is properly secured to avoid any leaks during use.
There is only one cap on any electric chainsaw rather than other saws.
Characteristics of Lubrication Oil for Chainsaw
Chainsaw lubrication oil is a special oil that keeps the chain cool and prevents it from rusting or debris buildup. Its characteristics are:
- Low viscosity: This helps the oil move through the mechanisms of the chainsaw quickly and easily.
- High sticking properties: This will ensure that the oil sticks to the chain and guide bar, preventing it from splattering while in use. Thick oil becomes sticky and helps keep the chain lubricated for longer.
- Temperature Dependent: The oil should work well in all temperatures, from cold to hot. In the cold, the oil becomes thick to remain on the bar. In hot weather, the oil becomes thinner, which flies off the bar and chain.
Special Oils for Electric Chainsaws
As each company owns its oil, some use oils specifically designed for electric chainsaws.
Oregon and Craftsman make special bar and chain oil designed for electric chainsaws. These are high-quality oils designed to provide optimal lubrication while reducing friction and prolonging the lifespan of the chainsaw. This makes it the perfect choice for electric chainsaw users.
Where to Purchase? You can find Oregon Electric Chainsaw Oil at Home Depot, while Craftsman Electric Chainsaw Oil is available online from Amazon and other retailers.
Some recommended oils from Amazon are:
1. Oregon Bar and Chain Oil for Chainsaws, 1 One Quart Bottle (32 fl. oz / 946 ml) (54-026)
- Perfect lubricant for electric and gas chainsaws.
- Extends the lifespan of your equipment and accessories by preventing the accumulation of resins, sap, and gum
- Stickiness Power is Excellent in all weather conditions.
- Made in the U.S.A.
2. Craftsman CMXG0AWBCPL Premium Bar & Chain Oil
- Specially formulated for electric chainsaws to provide superior lubrication.
- Unique composition ensures high sticking properties and high film strength
- Works well in all weather conditions – the oil maintains its viscosity in both hot and cold environments
- Resists build-up of resins, sap, and gum, facilitating smoother operation and cuts.
Common Mistakes in Applying Bar Oil to Electric Chainsaws
While applying bar oil to electric chainsaws is an essential part of chainsaw maintenance, there are common things that users often need to correct. These can lead to reduced efficiency and possible damage to the chainsaw. Here are some of these common errors:
1. Using the Wrong Type of Oil
Not all oils are equal. Some users must use motor or vegetable oil instead of bar and chain oil. While these oils may provide some level of lubrication, they lack the sticking properties of bar and chain oil and can lead to early damage. Always use the recommended oil for your chainsaw.
2. Overfilling the Oil Reservoir
Overfilling the oil reservoir can lead to leaks and unusual operations. It’s important to fill the oil to the correct level as specified in the chainsaw’s user manual.
3. Ignoring Regular Maintenance
Regular maintenance, including cleaning the chainsaw and checking the condition of the bar and chain, is essential for efficient operation and prolonging the lifespan of your electric chainsaw. Ignoring this can lead to poor performance and damage.
4. Running the Chainsaw Without Oil
Running the chainsaw without oil is a major mistake that can lead to serious damage. Always ensure there is sufficient oil in the reservoir before operating the chainsaw.
Electric Chainsaw Oil Substitutes
In an emergency, you can try alternative solutions to chainsaw oil. However, these should only be used in a pinch as they do not provide the same level of lubrication and protection as bar and chain oils.
Some potential alternatives include:
- Vegetable Oil (use sparingly)
- Motor Oil (used sparingly)
- Cooking Oil (use sparingly)
- Baking Soda and Water
- WD-40 (use sparingly)
- Dispersant/Degreaser (for cleaning only)
It’s important to note that these alternate solutions should not be used as a replacement for bar oil. While they may provide some level of lubrication, they will only last for a short time or provide the same protection for your electric chainsaw.
Do Mini Chainsaws Need Oil?
Like their full-sized counterparts, mini chainsaws also require oil for effective operation. The size of chainsaws does not eliminate the need for lubrication. The chain of a mini chainsaw moves at high speeds, creating friction that can lead to wear and tear if not properly lubricated.
Therefore, regardless of the size of your chainsaw, it’s vital to ensure that the bar and chain are adequately oiled to enhance efficiency and longevity. Always adhere to the manufacturer’s guidelines on the type of oil to use and the frequency of application.
Final words: Do electric chainsaws need bar Oil?
In conclusion, the necessity of using bar oil in electric chainsaws is undeniable. This type of oil plays a crucial role in enhancing the equipment’s performance and durability. Whether you own a full-sized mini or pole electric chainsaw, always ensure a sufficient supply of bar oil.
It is also essential to use the correct type of oil and avoid common mistakes like overfilling the reservoir or ignoring regular maintenance. Recommended oil is the best choice, and if you need to use an alternative oil in an emergency, use it sparingly.
Remember, the longevity of your chainsaw greatly depends on proper care and maintenance.
Can You Manually Lubricate An Electric Chainsaw?
Yes, you can manually lubricate an electric chainsaw. However, it is important to do it correctly and use the right oil and tool. Running the chainsaw without oil can cause serious damage, so ensure sufficient oil before operation.
Is it normal for oil to come out of the chain?
Yes, it’s normal for oil to leak from the chain and guide bar. This is a sign that the chainsaw’s automatic oiling system is functioning properly. The oil helps to lubricate the chain during operation, reducing friction and prolonging the life of the chain.
Is there a difference between bar oil and motor oil?
Yes, there is a significant difference, as motor oil is designed for engines and unsuitable for chainsaws. Motor oil is not a great substitute for a chain bar, and it needs to be sticky enough to stay on the chain and bar.
Do electric pole saws need bar oil?
Yes, electric pole saws also require bar oil. Bar and chain oil is required to lubricate the cutting process properly. Like chainsaws, the bar and chain of pole saws generate friction during operation.
What happens if you run an electric chainsaw without bar oil?
Running an electric chainsaw without bar oil can lead to severe damage due to increased friction, resulting in the chain and bar overheating and will eventually break. It can also decrease the chainsaw’s performance and lifespan.
What kind of oil does a Worx electric chainsaw use?
A Worx electric chainsaw typically uses a high-quality bar and chain oil for lubrication. But they also allow to use any bar and chain oil.